A metal roof is one of the most durable solutions you can pick. It looks good on both new and renovated houses. It can last from 50 to 100 years. This depends on materials used and installation expertise. It’s thus a one-time, lifetime investment.
To reap all its benefits, an experienced professional should install your roof. Not just one who understands roofing in general but metal roofs in particular. As a homeowner, there are various ways of determining whether the job has been done well.
Signs of a Professional Metal Roof Installation
Metal roofs are different from other roofing systems. They’re also suitable for areas with extreme weather conditions. If you’re installing a standing seam metal roof, your contractor should be aware of the following:
- Know What the Roof Entails
This type of roof has four main features:
- It utilizes concealed fasteners.
- It has two vertical legs.
- It has a flat area between the two legs.
- It has a seam made by interlocking the two raised parts of the panel.
- Always Start Square
This is one of the most important aspects of high-quality metal roofing. Its vertical lines must always be square to the eaves. If the first panel tilts, all other panels after it will be crooked.
Your panels should overhang the eave by 1-½ inches. Sealant tape applied between the eave trim and panel undersides makes installation easier.
- Understand Different Types of Standing Seams
Metal roofing gives installers diverse options to pick from. These include the slope of your roof and the prevailing weather conditions. The panel profile refers to the various ways panels interlock to form a standing seam.
These profiles include snaplock, mechanical seams, batten panel, and fastener flanges. They also influence other aspects of the roofing system, such as seam height.
- Expertise to Fasten Panels
Metal panels are held in place using fasteners. Most homeowners find hidden fasteners in standing seam roofs aesthetically pleasing. Contractors also prefer using screw guns to drive pancake head screws.
Use washers with these screws because they act as a sealant. If you tighten the screws too much, the washers might bend and cause your roof to start leaking. They might also draw panels down, giving the roof an amateurish appearance.
- Do Proper Waterproofing
When installed professionally, fasteners and sealants do a fantastic job of preventing leakage. Metal roofs are unique because they expand or contract depending on the weather. Using a lot of sealant and fasteners doesn’t guarantee success against leaks.
You must know exactly how much is needed to provide the best protection against the elements. Higher slopes reduce snow and ice buildup, as well as water puddling. Water shields and underlayments prevent them from causing roof damage.
- Understands Roofing Hazards
For a metal roof installation to go smoothly, safety precautions must be adhered to. One of the biggest hazards involves getting cut, so roofing gloves are a must. OSHA also has specific guidelines about roofing safety measures.
No matter how simple the installation is, protective measures should be taken seriously.
Attributes of a successfully completed roof installation
A professionally installed standing seam metal roof has numerous advantages, including:
- Low Life Cycle Cost. Although metal roofs generally cost more, maintenance costs will be negligible. Most manufacturers offer warranties lasting decades.
- Safety. Other than being better at withstanding weather extremities, metal roofs are also good fire retardants. Your house will be safer when compared to asphalt and cedar roofs. Your roofing technician can also install lightning rods to protect against potential strikes.
- Durability. Metal roofs hardly get affected by rodents, termites, and other infestations. They can also handle hail, sticks, and other falling objects without being damaged.
- Energy Efficiency. These roofs have been shown to reduce annual household energy bills. They’re warmer during winter and cooler in summer. Their reflective surfaces prevent absorption of heat into the house.
- Environmentally Friendly. Due to its durability, your metal roof won’t pollute the environment by needing a replacement. Even old ones are easily recycled into brand new products. They rarely end up in environmentally unfriendly landfills.
- Impressive Resale Value. A professionally installed metal roof increases the overall value of your house. If you ever decide to sell, it can be a strong bargaining tool. Potential buyers are likely to be thrilled about never having to re-roof.
Get the Best Roofing Solutions
If you’re ready to install a metal roof over your house, LB Solutions can guide you through the entire process. Our remarkable roofing services have put grateful smiles on many Minnesota homeowners’ faces.
Our amazing construction team is renowned for being committed to the highest quality. Our years of experience also makes us conversant with all types of roofs. If you need a new metal roof in Savage or Edina, connect with us today for fantastic results.